How & What

Know the difference between office paper and Commingled paper! We generate revenue from office paper! Help us minimize contamination in office paper bins!

What is Office Paper? Guide
  • White & pastel colored paper (No neon!)
  • Envelopes
  • Letterheads
  • Copies/Print-outs
  • Stamps
  • Envelopes with windows
  • Manila envelopes
  • Post it notes

What is Commingled? Guide
Mind the GAPPS!
Glass, Aluminum, Paper, Plastic, Steel
  • Glass Containers: all colors, including lids and tops
  • Aluminum: Soda cans only (no foil or take out containers)
  • Paper: Magazines, Newspaper, Paper-back books, empty paper cups
  • Plastics: #1-#7; bottles with caps on, yogurt containers, utensils, lids
  • Steel: Clean tin cans and empty aerosol cans
  • Cardboard: (please breakdown boxes) pizza boxes
  • Chipboard: cereal boxes, beverage container boxes

We recycle E-waste!
  • Batteries
  • Ink Toner Cartridges
  • CDs/Floppy Discs
  • Electronics
  • Cell Phones

But what about...
  • Books
    • Soft-backed: Toss 'em in the commingled bin.
    • Hard-backed: Call us for pickup!
  • Rigid Plastics
    • The city of Greensboro now accepts several types of rigid plastics for recycling. Small items can be placed in commingled bins; call the OWRR for pickup of large items. For more information, visit

Send alternative recycling items thru campus mail. For pick-ups call Ben Kunka at 334-5192.
Alternative recycling bins can be found in your building's CRL office.
Participate in Guilford County's HHW program or call to schedule a pickup at 334-5192.

  • Styrofoam
  • Napkins & paper towels
  • Plastic wrap & bags
    • These can be taken to your nearest grocery store drop site for recycling
  • Hard-backed books
    • These cannot go in commingled, but we do accept them for reuse. We work with Better World Books to redistribute used hard-backed books; call us for a pickup or for more info.